Thursday, July 10, 2008

Home at Last!!!

It is with great pleasure that I finally announce that Dylan is home.

After some drama, delay and conferences with docs, therapists and social workers, Dylan was discharged today from Shands and is home with Barb and I.

The majority of the team who were responsible for taking care of Dylan while in the NICU were absolutely fabulous, and although we had some challenges with a few individuals over the course of his last week or so, even those difficulties can be set aside and left in the past. It's the compassionate care of his doctor, nurse practicioner and almost every one of the nurses that helped take care of our little boy that helped make the past 7 weeks survivable for Barbara and I. If you are a member of the Shands team, know that your contributions to our son's care and to our families concerns can not be appreciated enough. Barbara, Dylan and I are forever indebted to you- whether you took care of him for one night or for a month. I know we gave this web address to a number of folks whose genuine concern for our son's well-being truly touched Barbara and I, and I hope you all continue to visit and follow Dylan's progress.

His first pediatricians appointment is tomorrow, which I assume will be a "getting to know you" kind of thing between Dylan, the doc and Barbara and I.

It has been a long 7 weeks, waiting for him to come home, and although it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders, I am well aware that the journey is just beginning. Being able to begin that journey in earnest, in our own home... It's just a huge relief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOOOOORRRRRAAAAYYYYYY!!!!
Welcome Home Dylan!!! Congrats to all of you and may the remainder of your lives be as happy as today!! We are so thrilled for all of you including the g'mas and g'pas!
Love 'n Hugz
Toni & Pat