Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Gettin' Snippy With It

Welcome back to Dylan's Den, and thanks for reading! Before I get into the meat of this post, let me remind you about the subscription function that I added to the bottom of the blog page. It does appear to be working, as far as I can tell from the tests I've tried. If you want to receive an emailed version of the blog whenever I post an update, just scroll to the very bottom of the page, enter your email address into the box at the bottom and click subscribe. Or, you could just keep checking back here each Wednesday and Sunday.

Anyway... What's new with Dylan? Well, if you didn't notice the entry in the weight chart to the right, Dylan's weight it up to 7 lbs, 8 oz as of yesterday's visit to the doctor. He's eating very well, to say the least. Of course, his mom is producing copious amounts of milk for the little guy- to the tune of around 50 oz each day, so he's going to keep eating well for quite a while. From what I understand, the average woman produces somewhere around 25-30 oz per day. I guess Barbara was made to be a mom. Some may question his weight gain, thinking it's quite a large amount to gain in such a short time. His doctors have assured us that there is no cause for concern. Babies in the womb gain large amounts of weight during the last few weeks of gestation, which is actually where Dylan is supposed to be right now. Today would mark his 38th week of gestation, so he's right on track.

Speaking of his doctor, we paid a visit there yesterday morning to have him circumcised. He's been handling it very well- far better than I imagine I could ever handle it, that's for sure. He hasn't really shown any affects from the procedure at all, except maybe a bit of minor fussiness. Of course, fussiness for Dylan means that he cries two or three times when you change his diaper instead of only once. There's been no bleeding to speak of, and overall, he seems to have handled it like a champ.

His diaper rash is just about gone as well. At our first visit to his doctor, we were recommended to try a diaper cream named Triple Paste, and it has worked wonders. In the 5 days since that appointment, his bottom has gone from looking like raw hamburger to being as cute as ... well, as cute as a baby's bottom. That stuff is quite impressive. I guess for $20 for a 16 oz tub, it better be. Still, even if it is a bit pricey, I'd recommend it without a second thought.

Oh... To whoever bought Dylan the outfit that says "Automatic Sprinkler"... you hit the nail right on the head! Normally, when I change a diaper, I cover his "sprinkler" with a paper towel. Since that area is a bit tender though, I haven't been doing that. I don't want to touch the area until I'm putting the Vaseline covered gauze back over it. Instead, I am regularly being sprinkled on. So is the floor. So is the changing table, the rug we had in front of the changing table, and on one occasion- the wall as well. This guy can certainly build up some pressure. For his first diaper change after we got him home, he sprinkled Barbara and I both... THREE TIMES! In one diaper change, he soaked us down three times. It must have been his way of telling us what he thought about the whole circumcision thing.

Well... that's all the interesting info I can think of at the moment. Tomorrow I finally go back to working my full schedule again. Something tells me I'm going to miss the little guy...

I'll let you know how it goes in my next entry on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you both for including me in the list of bloggers for Dylan. I've read through the whole site. It is really neat to see his NICU stay through the eyes of his parents. I'm glad the experience was a positive one, even through the hurdles. It is wonderful that he is home and thriving. I think of him everytime I walk by his bedspace in NICU2. I will continue to check on his progress and hope to see you all at the NICU reunion in September. God Bless your family!
Julie (aka Dr. Baines)