Thursday, September 4, 2008

Change in plans

Well... we thought we had an MRI scheduled for Dylan, with a follow up with a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon thinks otherwise.

We got a call today from his office. We were told that the neurosurgeon looked over Dylan's chart and does not see the necessity for an additional MRI, especially given the fact that he has already had three. His main concern is any unnecessary exposure to additional radiation. Considering the lack of abnormal head growth, the encouraging results of the last MRI done and the fact that Dylan has exhibited no symptoms of any continuing problems related to the hydrocephalus, it really does not make much sense to do it. I never knew there was any radiation involved in an MRI. I never looked too far into it, but I always thought they were radiation free. Live and learn, I guess.

The curious thing is this, though: If this is the case, why did the neurologist not come to the same conclusion? Is it just a matter of a more aggressive approach vs. a more conservative one? Did the neurologist simply not look deep enough into Dylan's chart and look at the "big picture"? Whatever the reason, I just wish that the docs could all get on the same page.

In other news, something I left out in my post yesterday... Dylan was at his first party last weekend. He helped us celebrate his Mom's birthday. In fact, he even bought Barbara a very nice pendant for her birthday that say "Mom". OK, maybe he had a little help with that, but as he proved on Father's Day, he can definitely shop with the best of them. I guess he appreciates having such a super Mom. He was very well behaved, although I think he may have had a little too much to drink. He drank himself to the point of passing out. That breast milk packs quite a punch, I hear.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you all a quick update about the MRI appointment. More news as it comes...




No comments: