Saturday, May 31, 2008

Kangaroos and Rabbits...


Just back from the NICU with a progress report...


Dylan's weight went down, as expected, but not by much. He's at 1535g, or 3 lbs 6 oz. So, over the two days, it's still a 60g increase. I find that very encouraging. His feedings have also been increased to 17cc of breastmilk each, and he continues to digest all of it.


Barbara held Dylan kangaroo style for over an hour and 20 minutes tonight. It was such a beautiful thing to watch. I know from when I held kangaroo'ed with him, how relaxing it can be for both parent and baby, and just seeing the look of utter contentment on my wife's face, knowing everything she has been through over the last several weeks... it was just awesome to witness.


I brought a book of 5 minute bed-time tales with us to the NICU, and I read The Velveteen Rabbit to Dylan as he was settling down into his mother's warmth. I've never read a story to anyone before, and I found it to be strangely peaceful. I'm looking forward to doing it again. Dylan seemed to be enjoying it also. I know he would react to my voice when he was in the womb, kicking up a storm when I would first come home from work each night, and he seems to recognize it still. For the 5 or so minutes that it took to read the story, his eyes were wide open. Normally, he only keeps them open for seconds at a time, and then drifts back to sleep. I wanted to keep on reading, but thought it best to let him relax.


Anyway, that's all for now. More tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful job you two

going to try and come up tonight to see him and you guys